It is probably kind of dangerous to title an article as such in today's climate. I am not Arab or Muslim and hopefully not even very radical (even in my Christian walk). Although I often wonder if that is what Jesus requires - he was certainly a radical, if not an extremist when he walked here.
However, the other day someone actually labeled my eating habits as "extreme." What they actually said was "What made you choose such an extreme way to eat?" My co-workers have been more gentle and just look at me like I'm crazy. Although, I'm not sure that this began with my eating habits. I never really wanted to conform and have always loved blazing new trails.
The results from our lifestyle change have certainly been extreme. Most of my medicine is no longer necessary and I'm starting to feel better as the weight naturally comes off. My doctor even said "Wow, I'm impressed!" Trust me, that has never happened before!
I think what is extreme is what most people consider normal. It is just considered normal that a certain percentage of people we all know will drop dead from a preventable disease at an early age. Many more will suffer along through life with ailments from type 2 diabetes to high blood pressure when they don't have to. It is also quite extreme to believe that over 500,000 people in the U.S. each year will have their chest pried open to have surgery when they didn't have to. Many more will live way below healthy levels that they could easily achieve.
Even if I only prevent or slow down one of my issues, it is a small sacrifice to simply eat healthy. Even if I don't live a day longer but have a better quality of life, it is worth it. In my case, my tastes have changed - I enjoy it all - I love this new life! It is not really extreme at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment