Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Do You Small What I Smell?

More than anything, the things I remember about Christmas are the smells.  My grandmother (Nanny) would cook different kind of meat for each of her three son-in-laws.  Usually turkey and ham and chicken-fried steak.  Imagine that, along with the fresh rolls and home-grown vegetables and several brands of pies.  My favorite sweets was the soft pralines, probably because they're just about pure sugar.  All of that makes a symphony of smells that is hard to duplicate.

As our traditions have emerged, so have the smells.  But, they have been just as good as the original.  The meals at my mother-in-laws and our own home have never disappointed.  Not the same - but just as good.  So, as we anticipate our first plant-based Christmas, we really shouldn't be afraid.  Already, I am anticipating the new fragrances that come from trying new things.  Maybe it will be spinach lasagna or some Engine 2 cookies or whatever our girls and Laura and my mother-in-law dream up.

It's gonna smell great! It's gonna taste great!  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment